The bell tower located between the Municipal Building and Library Building broke this summer. It is currently being repaired with new timbers and will be reinstalled when finished. The bell was purchased in 1908 from the Spokane Fire Dept. for $375.00 and was first used as a fire alarm in Chewelah. In later years, high school sports teams would ring the bell after a victory. The history of the bell is also being reprinted and will be posted next to the tower. Replacement is expected before year’s end.