The Utility Customer Service Department is located on the first floor of Chewelah City Hall and is pleased to provide general information and service to all City Hall patrons and visitors.

Friendly Service at the City of Chewelah

Friendly Service at the City of Chewelah

Billing Questions
For questions regarding bills, rates and consumption please contact Utility Billing at:

Chewelah City Hall
301 E. Clay Avenue   Room 104
PO Box 258
Chewelah, WA  99109

(509) 935-8311
Fax (509) 935-6279

Monday – Friday, 8:00AM to 4:30PM (excluding holidays)
E-mail: or

Billing Statements/Notices
Statements are mailed monthly on the first working day and are due on the 15th of each month (“due date”).  If the due date falls upon a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the payment will be considered timely if made on the next business day.  Delinquency notices are mailed on the first working day following the 15th.

Delinquent accounts
Any account shall be considered delinquent if not paid in full on the due date, EXCEPT that if the due date falls upon a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday the account shall be considered delinquent only if not paid in full prior to 11:59 PM on the first business day following the due date.  A late charge of $25.00, in addition to any late charges that may remain unpaid after having been previously imposed, shall be added in every month to any delinquent account with an unpaid balance of over $5.00. Delinquency notices are mailed on the 16th.  Utility Services are subject to termination on the 25th day of any month in which any amount remains unpaid for that account as of that date.  If you have questions regarding delinquent accounts, contact the billing office at (509) 935-8311.

Billing Payments
You may pay your bill in the following ways:

  • In person at City Hall during regular business hours.
  • Via drop box located in the parking lot at City Hall.  The City will not be responsible for cash payments left in the drop box.
  • Automatic Payment.  Utility bills may be withdrawn automatically from your checking account.  Download the Automatic Payment Plan Application Form.  Please contact the Utility Billing Office for more information at (509) 935-8311. 
  • By credit/debit card, online or by phone  (Convenience fees apply).

Billing service inquiries
If you think your billing is incorrect, or suspect that you may have a leak, please call the billing office for assistance at (509) 935-8311.  We may ask that you submit your dispute in writing to the City Administrator; Chewelah City Hall; 301 E Clay Avenue; PO Box 258; Chewelah, WA  99109. 

Closing accounts
To close your utility account, contact the billing office at 301 E Clay Avenue Room 104 or call (509) 935-8311.    If there is a deposit on file, it will be applied to the account and a final bill will be sent to the forwarding address provided.  If the deposit exceeds the amount due, a refund check will be issued.   

Any residential non-owner/tenant desiring services from the City of Chewelah shall tender a deposit to the City. The deposit shall not be refunded until the final bill is paid. The deposit shall be in an amount equal to the utility charges for 2 months of the previous twelve months average, with a residential minimum of $125, commercial minimum of $250 for Restaurants/$1,000 for Grocery Stores.  A Landlord Authorization Form (plus a onetime $10 filing fee) must be submitted by the landlord to City Hall before we can collect a deposit and put the account in the tenant’s name.  

During business hours, please contact Utility Billing at (509) 935-8311.  For after-hour emergencies, please contact Password paging service at (509) 455-3845. 

Property owners are responsible
Billing made in the name of the tenant or occupant is for the convenience of the property owner.   This does not relieve the owner of responsibility for payment should the tenant/occupant of the service address fail to pay for their charges.   The owner on record will be mailed a duplicate delinquent notice should the account balance become past due.  All charges remain against the property.  Failure to pay may result in the discontinuation of service and/or a lien on the property. 

Rates and Fees
Utility Service Request Application
Residential Utility Rates Effective with December 2017 Services
Commercial Utility Rates Effective with December 2017 Services

To begin account billing for a new tenant or property owner in the City of Chewelah, contact the billing office at 301 E Clay Avenue Room 104 or call (509) 935-8311.  If there is a deposit required this must be paid before services can begin.  If you are a new owner, please have proof of ownership.  Your account may contain charges for electric, water, sewer or garbage, depending on your service location. 

Testing for leaks
Although most leaks can be heard or seen, many homes have hidden leaks that are easily overlooked.  If you suspect a leak contact City Hall. The most common culprits are leaking toilets or dripping faucets.  A leaky toilet loses water from the tank to the bowl without being flushed.  Many of these leaks are silent.  To test for toilet leaks:

  • Lift the lid off the toilet tank and put five to ten drops of food coloring into the tank.
  • Wait five minutes, then look in the bowl.  If you see food coloring in the bowl, you have a leak.
  • In most cases, replacing the toilet flapper and/or filling the mechanism will correct the problem.

A leaky faucet is often the result of a bad rubber washer.  The washer is typically located under the handle and can be easy to repair, if you have the right tools.  Check the internet for instructions on how to repair leaks.  Many local home centers also offer good advice.  If in doubt about any repair, seek a plumbing professional.