Chewelah City Council
Then and Now
The City of Chewelah held its very first City Council meeting on February 7, 1903. Mayor W. W. Dickson presided over the meeting that lasted for over two hours. At this meeting, the first ordinances were passed - including Ordinance No. 3 which set the license fee at $400 per year for the sale of spiritous and other liquors. There were five City Council members, but only three were present.
There are now 107 years worth of minutes preserved by the City. Since that first meeting, which was held in the Bank Building, the City offices have relocated several times finally resting in thier current location at 301 E. Clay. We now have seven councilmembers who are responsible for decision making on issues concerning the airport, library, police force, fire department, swimming pool and all things necessary to serve the citizens of Chewelah. They currently meet on the first and third Wednesdays of each month at 6:30 P.M. in City Hall. These meetings are open to the public. In fact, citizens are encouraged to attend and participate. Information and special accomodations are available. Simply contact the Clerk/ Treasurer prior to the meeting.